A rotary compressor is a type of air compressor that creates compressed air using two rotating screws, commonly referred to as rotors. In comparison to other compressor types, rotary screw air compressors are cleaner, quieter, and more effective. They are also unbelievably dependable, even under continual use. Due to these reasons, rotary compressors are the go-to device for various business and industrial applications all over the world. Read More…
Brehob CorporationIndianapolis, IN | 317-231-8080
An employee-owned company, Brehob Corporation is celebrating 70 years in business. We offer complete air compressor solutions and provides a full line of additional equipment including dryers and accessories.$$$
Quincy Compressor, Inc.Bay Minette, AL | 251-937-5900
The 12 volt air compressors that we offer cannot be topped by the competition! We offer air compressors of all kinds including industrial air compressors, screw compressors, reciprocating compressors and many others. We want to show you the difference that ninety years of experience can make! Contact our customer service representatives today or visit our website to learn how to get started!$$$
FS-Elliott Co., LLCExport, PA | 724-387-3200
The 12 volt air compressors that we offer cannot be topped by the competition! We offer air compressors of all kinds including industrial air compressors, screw compressors, reciprocating compressors and many others. We want to show you the difference that fifty years of experience can make! Contact our customer service representatives today or visit our website to learn how to get started!$$$
Air Compressor Supply, Inc.Oklahoma City, OK | 405-672-0382
On call all day every day, Air Compressor Supply is dedicated to providing the best available air compression equipment & service, including great preventative maintenance. This Master Distributor of Gardner Denver rotary screw & reciprocating air compressors ensures efficient, economical air compressor & vacuum systems plus air treatment & filtration. Air audits, design & install, parts & repair.$$$
Mattei Compressors, Inc.Randallstown, MD | 410-521-7020
Founded in 1919, Mattei is a leading manufacturer of high quality products including a 12 volt air compressor. We guarantee you will benefit from the performance and efficiencies of our superior technologies. With a focus on both current and future compressor models, Mattei will reduce costs while delivering ever increasing efficiencies. Call us today or visit us online for further information.$$$
Operation of a Rotary Screw Feeder
How do these compressors operate to produce compressed air? The innovative rotary screw technique that lends them their name has the solution to that query. Positive displacement describes the way rotary screw air compressors work. It is both straightforward and brilliant. They use two meshing helical screws, or "rotors," to compress the air. Timing gears ensure that the male and female rotors of a dry-running rotary screw compressor remain precisely aligned. Lubricating oil is used to fill the space between rotors in the case of oil-flooded rotary screw air compressors. This creates a hydraulic seal and permits the transfer of mechanical energy.
Step-by-Step Operation of Rotary Screw Compressors
- Gas is drawn into the compression chamber by a valve when it is opened. The two screw rotors that are housed in the chamber rotate rapidly when the machine is turned on.
- Air is moved down the chamber as a result of the impellers' rotational action, which isolates and traps the air in the spaces between the rotors.
- The chamber is moved away from the opening valve.
- Volume decreases as pressure increases.
- Air is condensed due to the building pressure.
- The increasing air pressure triggers the compressor’s discharge valve to open, allowing the pressurized air to enter a receiver or other holding tank.
- After the air is compressed, it can be transferred and utilized for purposes ranging from drying to contamination removal.
Why Rotary Screw Compressors?
- Rotary screw compressors are energy-efficient by virtue of their compression mechanism. They are a great investment because energy prices make up the majority of the expenditures associated with compressing air.
- Additionally, rotary screw compressors are made specifically for long periods of dependable use. They are, therefore, a fantastic option for tasks that demand constant compressor operation.
- Additionally, rotary screw air compressors are incredibly adaptable and don't need a lot of maintenance. They are also comparatively silent. Therefore, it is possible to place these compressors close to the location of usage required without breaking noise regulations. For workshops or other small companies with constrained space, this is crucial.
- There is one more reason why rotary screw compressors are now prevalent in almost all sectors of the economy that use compressed air. Some rotary screw compressors have direct drives, some have gear drives, and others feature belt drives. Likewise, there are oil-flooded and dry-running compressors. In other words, there is a rotary screw air compressor for any need.
Different Rotary Screw Compressor Drives and Their Benefits
hree different forms of drive systems have been created to power rotary screw air compressors. Each has particular benefits.
- Belt-drive: As the name suggests, these compressors use a belt, which is connected to the motor, to run the air pump, and pulley system to generate air pressure and transfer power. This type of rotary screw compressor is reliable and simple to install and maintain. It also requires the least amount of upfront expenditure. It is an excellent option for any small businesses because of this combination of low price and low maintenance.
- Gear-drive: With this system, there are no belts or pulleys. An interconnected series of gears and chains form a gear train to generate the compressed air. This compressor is quieter thanks to its gear drive. It is more energy-efficient but typically comes with a higher initial investment cost. Consequently, this compressor must be used frequently to eventually pay off the increased price.
- Direct-drive: With a direct-drive system, the motor is directly connected to the air pump and doesn't require pulleys (or belts or gears) to help generate and transfer power. This version of rotary screw air compressors employs the most advanced technology, typically at more advanced prices. Direct-drive compressors provide unmatched performance and efficiency. These compressors can quickly recoup their higher initial investment cost due to their lower energy consumption and then continue to accrue savings after that. These compressors also have the lowest noise level of the three. Direct-drive rotary screw air compressors come in a variety of models for different applications
Rotary Compressor Applications
- The uses for rotary screw compressors are essentially limitless due to their numerous advantages, varieties, and sizes. However, there are some applications that are particularly well suited for them including commercial and industrial applications requiring large volumes of high pressure. The food and beverage industry, for example, utilizes rotary compressors for tasks ranging from cutting and preparing products to cleaning packages and workspaces.
- Mobile versions of smaller rotary screw air compressors are common. They work perfectly for remote mining operations or construction sites. These are a few applications where the resilience and ease of installation show a clear advantage for rotary screw air compressors.
- As was already mentioned, users can choose between an oil-injected and an oil-free compressor. There are numerous applications where the caliber of compressed air is crucial. A few examples include the pharmaceutical industry, medical research, the food and beverage industry, or semiconductor production. The only option here should be an oil-free screw compressor.
- However, with an oil-injected compressor, the importance of air quality should be a secondary consideration such as when one simply needs to power pneumatic tools. Gas refrigeration and hydrocarbon processing are two further uses for oil-injected rotary screw air compressors.
Choosing the Correct Rotary Compressor Manufacturer
To make sure you have the most constructive outcome when purchasing Rotary Compressors from a Rotary Compressor Manufacturer, it is important to compare at least 4 or 5 Manufacturers using our list of Rotary Compressor suppliers. Each Rotary Compressor Supplier has a business profile page that highlights their areas of experience and capabilities and a contact form to directly communicate with the manufacturer for more information or request a quote. Review each Rotary Compressor business website using our proprietary website previewer to get an idea of what each business specializes in, and then use our simple RFQ form to contact multiple Rotary Compressor businesses with the same quote.